As a transitional step, this site will temporarily be made Read-Only from July 8th until the new community launch. During this time, you can still search and read articles and discussions.
While the community is read-only, if you have questions or issues requiring TIBCO review/response, please access the new TIBCO Community and select "Ask A Question."
You will need to register or log in or register to engage in the new community.
TIBCO Spotfire® Mods Overview
Spotfire Mods is a lightweight cloud-enabled framework for adding new interactive visualization types, called visualization mods, to Spotfire. A visualization mod looks, feels and behaves just like a built-in Spotfire visualization and can be reused in different Spotfire analyses with different configurations and data sets, that can be either in-memory, in-database or streaming data from any Spotfire supported data source.
By combining Spotfire Mods with other built-in Spotfire capabilities, such as self-service data access, data wrangling, visual analytics, advanced analytics, embedded BI and reporting, you can create highly customized analytic applications directly within the Spotfire environment.
Spotfire Mods greatly expands the types of visualizations accessible to Spotfire Analysts, Authors and Consumers by enabling customers, partners and 3rd party developers to easily build and distribute new visualization types to the Spotfire community. This makes analytics available for more business users that get access to a rich set of fit-for-purpose specialized visualizations for different business problems.
For information about other customization options, see Extending TIBCO Spotfire®.
- Look and feel like native Spotfire visualizations for both analysts, authors and consumers.
- Support for in-memory data, in-db data, streaming data and data-on-demand from any Spotfire supported data source.
- Work in both Spotfire Analyst (Windows) and Spotfire Consumer/Business Author (web) without any special code.
- Can be used on premises, in private cloud or in public cloud (TIBCO Cloud Spotfire) environments.
- Can be used by an individual user, group or organization in a multi-tenant environment (e.g. TIBCO cloud Spotfire) without affecting other users, groups or organizations that are using the same Spotfire environment.
- Easily developed with modern web technologies.
- Can be deployed by an individual for personal use or by an administrator for use by a group of users.
- Can be distributed as a simple download from the TIBCO Community or any third party website.
- Security OOTB with new certificate-based trust model.
Getting started with Mods development
The Getting started guide describes the steps needed to get a mod running in development mode, inside Spotfire.
Spotfire Mods GitHub pages contain all assets needed for mod development, such as guides, tutorials, API documentation, templates and source code examples.
Trust and Certificates
A built-in trust mechanism helps you keep your system safe when using Spotfire Mods.
Governing Mods in Your Organization
Spotfire Mods allows any Spotfire user to add new visulization types to their Spotfire analyses. How mods are deployed and used in your organization can be centrally governed using licenses, preferences and server settings.
Submitting Mods to the TIBCO Community Exchange
The TIBCO Community Exchange is a safe and trusted place for TIBCO’s customers and partners to discover mods for Spotfire, and an opportunity for developers to show-off their work and deliver industry specific and useful mods vetted by TIBCO. Build your mod, review guidelines, prepare publication assets, and submit your mod for review to publish on the TIBCO Community Exchange.
Q & A
If you have questions on how to use or develop mods, check out:
- TIBCO Spotfire® Mods FAQ
- TIBCO Community Answers - ask general questions about mods (tag with #Mods).
- Spotfire Mods GitHub Discussions section - ask questions about mod development, with other community members.
- Spotfire Mods GitHub Issues section - report issues in the API or examples.
Learn more about Mods
- TIBCO Spotfire® Mods FAQ
- Video: Spotfire Mods #PowerHour! Building a custom viz Donut Chart in ONE HOUR
- Video: Spotfire Mods #PowerHour! Gantt Chart custom visualization build in ONE HOUR
- Video: Dr. Spotfire - Mods 101: The Basics of Custom Visualizations
- Video: Dr. Spotfire - Mods 102: Scripting Best Practices and Guidance for Custom Visualizations
- Video: Dr. Spotfire - Mods 103: Going Beyond Custom Visualizations
- Video: Spotfire 11 webinar - Introducing Spotfire Mods
- Video: What’s new in Spotfire 11
Spotfire Mods is available on TIBCO Cloud Spotfire® and on all other Spotfire environments with version TIBCO Spotfire® 11.0 or later.